Today is probably going to be stressful for a lot of autistic people. Misinformation, hateful A$, misplaced sympathy and offensive opinions are going to be all over the place, all day long. Especially if you’ll be spending a lot of time on social media. Here are some reminders for myself and anyone else needing care today. ♥
- Take regular breaks. Spending long periods of time reading or participating in the Awareness/Acceptance discussion is hard on you, emotionally and physically. Set a timer to go off in regular intervals as a signal to do something else for a bit.
- Be happy. Have something you love waiting for you during a break. Favorite tv show, favorite song, favorite cat, etc.
- Stretch. You might be really tense without even noticing. Stretch those muscles!
- Watch this video of a sloth taking a bath.
- Stim. You won’t need reminded but how about a reminder that stimming is fantastic?
- Drink water. Have you had enough water today? Has anyone? Ever? Probably not.
- Browse #ActuallyAutistic. Anywhere, really. Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, WordPress. If you’re prone to venturing off into #autism land (like me), it might be good to get back and remind yourself that you’re not alone.
- Take a selfie. You look really good today.
- Listen to the rain. It’s so soothing…and sleepy. (9.5 Take a nap?)
- Eat regularly. Need some low spoons food?
p.s. the link preview picture is not my dog. Unfortunately. 😦